The dashboards typically are the layouts that indicate the state of some complex entity — like business sales, production process, personal finances, or state of the fleet. They are like the magazine cover — give an overall awareness of what is happening without jumping in between al the inner sections of the informational system
Their primary purpose is to display, what is going on with the entity and to initiate necessary actions if something requires attention.
So, if we organize these purposes, we will have the following tasks:
- Display what is happening:
- What had happened since our last visit
- What to expect in the closest future
- What is the prognosis of affairs
- Highlight the issues to attract the user’s attention
Also, if there are frequent tasks across the system, the dashboard can aggregate them as quick links or triggers.